FEA Consultancy Services
Armech Solutions FEA consultancy enables engineering and design teams to solve problems and find better solutions. Our FEA services will increase your understanding of your products by revealing their response to operational loads.
What is FEA?
The finite element method (FEM) is the technique used to perform finite element analysis (FEA). It is a numerical method that is used to predict how physical objects behave under a given set of conditions. Essentially, finite element analysis simulates what happens when loads are applied to a part or assembly.
Why Should You Use FEA?
Finite element analysis brings about a multitude of benefits, by and large, these can be summed up as follows:
By using FEA, the physics of a system can be visualised in a way that even physical testing can’t provide. Load sharing between components can be approximated, thermal gradients can be established, and component deformation can be determined. If you want to make a design better, surely the more you understand about how it works and behaves, the more informed your judgements will be. Optimisation:
FEA allows multiple design iterations to be tested quickly. With each iteration, you’ll move closer to converging on an optimal solution. Different design concepts can be compared without having to manufacture any parts. Whatever the key drivers are – weight, stiffness, strength – FEA can help you to reach your goal.
To verify a product is fit-for-purpose, of course, we agree that physical testing is required. But, FEA can allow these tests to be performed, when a high degree of certainty has been reached regarding their outcome. Also, when performing a test, the margin with which something has passed is not always clear. A part may deform plastically but complete a test. FEA brings additional confidence that your product has not only completed a test but that it is actually fit-for-purpose.
In short, FEA offers engineers the opportunity to:
- understand physics through visualisation,
- optimise a design with “virtual” trial and error and comparison of multiple concepts, and finally,
- verify that the product can handle whatever loading it will be subjected to in its lifecycle.
FEA offers engineers the opportunity to optimise a design by comparing design configurations, verify that the design can handle the loading, and understand the mechanics through visualisation.
What Can FEA Do?
We use ANSYS Mechanical for finite element analysis:
Our FEA consultants can use it to run the following simulations:
- Stress analysis – calculate stress, strain, displacement of parts and assemblies. Both static analysis or transient.
- Thermal analysis – simulate heat conduction, convection and radiation across assemblies
- Kinematics (motion) – simulate interactions between moving parts
- Dynamic analysis – find natural vibration frequencies, responses to harmonic loads, and understand during transportation or seismic activities
- Fatigue analysis – determine the fatigue life of your product
We regularly use these types of simulations to ensure compliance with regulatory norms and standards, such as:
- ASME VIII Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code
- DNV GL Rules for Ships
- Lloyd’s Code for Lifting Appliances in a Marine Environment
- API 6A Wellhead and Tree Equipment
- Eurocode standards
Why Use FEA Consultancy Services?
Armech Solutions differentiate ourselves by approaching finite element analysis from the perspective of helping our clients reach an objective, rather than performing an analysis. We will help guide you in a cost-effective way to achieving your goals, whether that is by running FEA or making hand-calculations. That being said, using highly-skilled FEA specialists to run your analysis, gives you peace of mind. From the perspective of knowing that the model has been set up correctly and validated, to having an impartial outlook when assessing the results.
Using FEA consultancy services also allows you to increase your engineering capacity on a pay-as-you-go basis. Perhaps for a one-off project, or to let your engineers focus on their specialism.
Using FEA consultants gives you the best of both worlds:
- Keep overheads down – software, hardware and fulltime staff
- Use the latest and most up-to-date software, with high-powered workstations built for numerical problem solving
Contacts us to find out how our FEA consultants can help you.